Friday, May 12, 2006

Do you remember?







May 12, 2006



I have spent a lot of time the last few days remembering. Remembering my wonderful, loving grandmother. Remembering long summer days spent shelling lima beans with her on the back porch. Remembering the fresh smell of green grass, homemade rhubarb pie, and heaps of mashed potatoes, which she urged be finished by her quite-already-satisfied family. Remembering the warmth that radiated from her.

I also remembered my father, who was strong, sincere and generous. Who loved life and family, and made each moment count. Who set an example in honesty, hard work and dependability. Who loved sacrificially and without complaint. And if all this is too serious, who played a killer round of golf and had an amazing "sky hook" shot! :)

I remember what it was like to live in the imaginary world of a child. Whether trying on the glass slipper that led to "happily ever after" or chasing ferocious wolves or singing and dancing without a care in the world, childhood was, and is magical.

I remember who I am and where I came from and the people that shaped and influenced me the most. I am grateful to God for all those whose lives have touched mine so deeply.

Do you remember?

No comments: