Friday, June 20, 2008

A Tribute to a Hero: Jonathan "JD" Emard

There are times when you've been given a responsibility you know you must fulfill, no matter how difficult, no matter the cost. Army Spc. Jonathan Emard understood that. At the age of just 20, on June 4, 2008, near Hawijah, Iraq, he courageously ran a mission that would make most of us shrink in fear. But JD understood the cost and had a mind, body and spirit ready to serve. Tragically, it was his last mission. Two fellow soldiers, Sgt. Cody Legg and Sgt. Shane Duffy, also lost their lives in those early morning hours.

I have the privilege of knowing JD's family personally through church, even having had the blessed opportunity to photograph the birth of JD's niece last year. They are the kind of people who make everyone feel like family from the start. When JD's father called asking me to photograph as much as I could of the proceedings when his son arrived home - not in the celebratory reunion we so longed for, but in a casket borne in honor - I knew I had a job to do. It was, at once, the most difficult assignment and one of the greatest privileges I've ever had. It was the very least that I could do. I was so very moved to see the outpouring of love and support to, and even from, the Emard family. Spending the better part of two days with them, I heard many stories, saw heartwarming pictures, celebrated JD's life, and observed the dignity and honor with which his earthly body was laid to rest. We celebrate that his soul is with the Lord. So this is for you, our brave hero, and for your family who loves you so. We look forward to seeing you in glory.







This is a small sampling of pictures from the moving events of those days. Please check back soon for a slideshow in JD's honor which will contain many more images. And for my regular clients, thank you for your understanding and patience as I undertook this special assignment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debbie --
Your beautiful, sensitive, honoring images made me cry. Not just a few tears, but sobs. Your introductory words set the stage so clearly that I felt that i was walking along side you as you captured the tribute to one of our fallen heroes. Your sampling is poignant. I know not to open your forthcoming slide show without plenty of time to experience (and a box of tissues). As a long-time flag-waving military brat, I have looked at a lot of patriotic images. None surpass what you present. All glory to God for your sharing your enormous gifts with us. You make me even more proud to be an American. I truly hope that fewer families (including mine) ever have to endure this sacrifice and reminder that freedom is never free. Hats off to another enormously successful project.
Sally